Saturday, October 3, 2020

To Seatbelt or Not to Seatbelt

 

October 3, 2020

Covid-19 Day 211

THIS.

This is what I think about when people whine and cry about face masks. The same arguments were made back the eighties about wearing seatbelts--we can't be forced to wear seat belts, it's unconstitutional, it's a violation of our freedom, even if it is for our safety.

But the naysayers were wrong, we could be forced to click it.

Now we don't think about it. We get in the car and put on our seatbelts. How many lives has this one law saved? There is no way to know, but I'm pretty sure it has saved my life on two separate occasions. So I'm a believer, now.

Would I have worn a seatbelt if the law hadn't been passed? No. I hate seatbelts, they are uncomfortable, and they make me feel trapped.

Do I wear them now? Yes, I click it, and not just to avoid the ticket.

For those you who would point out that wearing facemasks can be difficult (maybe life-threatening) for people with illness or disabilities, look at how many accommodations have been created to make it safer for everyone to wear a seatbelt--car seats for infants and children are just one.

There is a lesson to be learned here.

WEAR A FACE MASK BEFORE LAWMAKERS FEEL THEY HAVE TO PASS A LAW THAT MAKES IT ILLEGAL TO APPEAR IN PUBLIC WITHOUT ONE. Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Seatbelt or Not to Seatbelt

  October 3, 2020 Covid-19 Day 211 THIS. This is what I think about when people whine and cry about face masks. The same arguments were mad...